Contractors for the 13th Avenue Road Reconstruction and Infrastructure Improvement Project have reopened the south side of the intersection of 13th Avenue and 14th Street East in West Fargo. All turning movements for the intersection are restored.
Beginning Monday, July 30, the south side of the intersection of 13th Avenue and 16th Street East in West Fargo will have a short-term intersection closure as crews begin dirt and gravel work to prepare the intersection for paving operations. During the short-term intersection closure, motorists are not allowed to turn on to the main line of 13th Avenue from the south side. Once work is completed the turning movements onto 13th Avenue from the intersection will be restored. Project work is expected to last for two days and the intersection will reopen to drivers.
In the upcoming weeks traffic will shift onto the new south side concrete in two different phases. The first section will move late next week onto the newly improved south side roadway between 48th Street S and just east of 17th Street E. The second section will shift from 17th Street E to 12th Street E. On 13th Avenue between 48th Street S in Fargo to 12th Street E in West Fargo, traffic is currently head-to-head, plus turn lanes, on the north side of the street through the work zone.
ACCESS CHANGE – Saturday, July 28
• LOCATION: Intersection of 14th Street E and 13th Avenue –south side
• CHANGE: Access to 13th Avenue is OPEN
• REOPENING: Saturday, July 28
• PROJECT WORK: Crews installed new storm sewer and water main through the intersection.
ACCESS CHANGE – Monday, July 30
• LOCATION: Intersection of 16th Street E and 13th Avenue –south side
• CHANGE: Access to 13th Avenue is temporarily closed
• REOPENING: Wednesday, August 1, late evening weather permitting
• PROJECT WORK: Crews will begin dirt and gravel work to prepare for paving operations on the south side of the intersection.
TRAFFIC CONTROL – Phase 2, the current traffic phase will continue until early August
Work zone: 13th Avenue between 45th Street S in Fargo to 12th Street E in West Fargo
Traffic control: Motorist are carried side-by-side on the north side of the roadway
- One driving lane plus dedicated left turn lane each direction
- Access to surrounding side streets
- Business access is maintained
- South side of the roadway
- Sidewalks: North to south pedestrian crossing is at 9th or 45th Streets
- Intermittent intersection work: south side access of 14th, 16th, and 17th intersections
To access commerce or travel through the area, drivers are encouraged to use alternative routes for their east-west driving.
PUBLIC INFORMATIONAL MEETING SCHEDULED – Thursday, August 2
A public informational meeting will be held on Thursday, August 2, from 11:00 – 11:30 a.m. The open house is a time to come ask questions and learn more about current construction activity with the contractors and city engineers.
Meeting location: Times Square East Building 4950 13th Ave. S, Fargo on the second floor.
PROJECT PHASES – As the project progresses, there will be multiple shifts in traffic control. The anticipated phase schedule is:
- Phase 2 completion (Current) – early August
- Side-by-side traffic on north side of roadway
- Phase 3 completion – End of September
- Side-by-side traffic on south side of roadway
- Phase 4 completion – Middle of October
- 45th Street intersection pavement repairs (Completed) – Approximately 3 weeks in June
- Project completion – Middle of October (100% traffic open)
The purpose of the project is to replace aging infrastructure, with a goal of improving both pedestrian and vehicular safety and increasing roadway capacity through the area.
**Please remember all schedules are tentative and weather dependent.