December 12, 2017

Police Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

You can find a list below of common questions we receive on a regular basis.  If your question is not answered here, please feel free to give us a call at (701) 433-5500 and one of our staff members would be happy to answer your question!

Are you vaguely human? prove it...
Enter the code shown above in the box below.

You can contact the Police Department at 701-433-5500 and give the license plate information to our police clerk, who will look up the plate for you. They will be able to tell you if the vehicle has been towed or if someone has reported it stolen. If it has been towed, they will give you the phone number to our tow truck agent.

Yes. Not only is it required by the City of West Fargo, it is also a great way to find your bicycle in case it is stolen. Bicycle license can be purchased for $1.00 at the West Fargo Police Department during business hours.

The Police Department does not issue protection/restraining orders. You can obtain them by filing an Application and Affidavit in Support of a Protection Order if you have been a victim of domestic violence.

Please contact one of the following: the Rape and Abuse Crisis Center at 701-293-7273, Cass County State Attorney's Office at 701-241-5850 or a private attorney for further information.

For more information, please visit

Yes, call the Police Department at 433-5500 and ask for the Support Services Officer. They will set up an appointment for your group to tour the West Fargo Police Department.

Yes, if your vehicle is within the city limits of West Fargo, the officers have tools to assist you in opening your vehicle. Though our attempts may not always prove successful, we are generally able to open most vehicles. There is no cost to the citizen unless the police can't get it open and a locksmith is called.

The department and its personnel are not responsible for any damages that may occur while attempting to unlock your vehicle.

All requests for police services are assigned a priority based on the seriousness of the incident and the potential for injury to a victim or damage to property. Calls of a less urgent nature may be delayed so that we can respond immediately to emergencies.

You can come into the Police Department (800 Fourth Avenue E., West Fargo) and ask for this service 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday.

You must bring a valid, state-issued photo identification. There is a $10 charge for this service.

You can contact Sergeant Derek Cruff at 701-433-5500 for information regarding the personnel that is handling your particular case.

The number is 701-433-5333.  This number should not be used to report a crime in progress. 

If there is a crime in progress, call 911 immediately.

The police department is not authorized to release a copy of your driving record. You can view and print your driving record online at

For a list of all offenders in the State of North Dakota, please refer to the Attorney General's website regarding sex offenders at

For more information, get a copy of the booklet called North Dakota Landlord/Tenant Rights from the North Dakota Apartment Association, toll free at 1-800-990-6322 or find the information online at

The police department can't tow vehicles off of a private parking lot. If you are calling about an apartment building parking lot, please contact your apartment manager or rental office. If you are the owner of a business contact a towing company.

Please call the West Fargo Police Department (701-433-5500) if you can't find your pet.  You may also check our Facebook page for found pet information.

Yes, only if the light bulbs themselves are not visible to any other driver. If the bulbs are visible then you are in violation of ordinance 13-1509 and will be fined $20.00.

The State of North Dakota allows a 50 percent tint on the front driver and passenger side windows. The back three windows can be as dark as you wish. Refer to ordinance 13-1013 for more information. If your tint is darker than this, you can be fined $20.00.

Yes. Police reports and accident reports can be requested from the Police Department. Accident reports are $7.00 per report. Police reports cost $.25 per page, but are free to the victims of the crime report. Payment for the reports may be made in cash, credit card, check or money order form. There is a convenience fee of $2 or 3 percent of the payment due for credit card payments.

The City of West Fargo has numerous rules of how, when and where an automobile can park on city streets. For instance, a vehicle can't remain on a city street for a period of time more than 72 hours and it must have current registration while parked on a city street. For more information on parking refer to West Fargo's city ordinance 13-16.

No. An ATV cannot be ridden in the City of West Fargo unless it is being used on private property for the use of moving snow, lawn work or general house repairs. Snowmobiles cannot be ridden in the city for any reason except for loading and unloading onto a trailer. For further information, please refer to Ordinance 13-20.

If you are caught riding a vehicle that is not permitted within the city limits, the fine is $100.00.

A police report can be made at any time, on any day by calling 701-451-7660 and an officer will be assigned.  You can also report something in person at the Police Department at 800 Fourth Avenue E., Suite 2, West Fargo, during business hours 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.

If you have an issue with an officer, please visit the Police Department and inform a desk clerk of your intention to file a complaint. You can also call 701-433-5500 to have a complaint form sent to you.

A complaint form will have to be filled out in order to register your complaint. Once the paperwork is filled out and turned in, a supervisor will look into the complaint. You will be contacted by the supervisor regarding the issue.

No, it is unlawful for any person to discharge a firearm or dangerous weapon within the city limits. For further information please refer to ordinance 12-0306. If you are found guilty of firing a weapon within city limits you will be charged with a Class B Misdemeanor which is a $250.00 fine.

Fireworks are allowed in town only during specific timeframes on for Independence Day and New Year's. An individual who is at least 12 years of age may use, explode or possess any retail fireworks within the city limits of the City of West Fargo from 8 a.m. to 11:59 p.m. July 4 and 8 p.m. Dec. 31 to 1 a.m. Jan. 1. The individual use, explosion, or possession of fireworks at any other time during the year is prohibited.

For more information, please refer to City Ordinance 12-0711. If you are found lighting off fireworks within the city limits in violation of this ordinance, you can be charged with a Class B Misdemeanor which carries a $150.00 fine. 

Yes, there is a leash law. According to ordinance 11-0201, "No person who is owner or keeper of any animal shall allow any animal to run at large in the city."

To report an animal at large, please contact the Police Department at 701-433-5500.

They will require the following information: the address, type of animal, and when you saw the animal last.

Yes, this is a very common issue and you are not alone. If you believe your child is being unruly, you do have an option of having an officer come to your house and survey the situation. If you and the officer believe that the child is unruly, the officer may transport your child to Attendant Care where he/she will be held until the situation is resolved.

Yes, the curfew is 11 p.m. to 6 a.m. This is the time when a person under the age of 16 cannot be out wandering the city. This ordinance does not include a child who is returning home from certain events, if they have been babysitting, with someone of the age of 18 or they are approved by a parent.

For further information regarding the curfew, please see ordinance 12-09. If caught out during the hours of the curfew, the child will be brought either to the Police Department, home or attendant care.

A noise ordinance is always in effect within the city limits.  If you feel a neighbor is unlawfully noisy, you can contact the West Fargo Police Department and an officer will be dispatched. If the officer feels that the noise is unwarranted, the officer will ask the responsible party to cease creating the noise. For further information, refer to city ordinance 12-0801.

If you believe someone is involved in drug use or trafficking, contact the West Fargo Police Department (701-433-5500) to speak to an officer.

The West Fargo Police Department currently has a volunteer program. When we have opening for volunteers they will be posted on our website and on the West Fargo public access channel. You can also contact the Support Services Officer at 701-433-5500 if you have any questions regarding the program.

The ND Attorney General’s Office website is a great resources regarding common scams.

Ordinance 11-0102 requires that all dogs and cats over the age of twelve (12) weeks must be licensed by the West Fargo Police Department.

In order to license your pet, please bring proof that the rabies vaccination has been given and is current to the West Fargo Police Department. A clerk will then issue the license after verifying that the proper vaccination has been given. The license will be good until December 31 of that year and needs to be renewed each year.

The charge for the first three dogs and/or cats is $6.00 per animal that is spayed/neutered and $10.00 for those who are not.  For households exceeding three dogs and/or cats, the cost is $100 per license for each additional dog or cat. 

We accept cash, check and money order.  If you chose to pay with a credit card there is an additional fee of $2 or 3 percent of the total fee. 

Please call the West Fargo Police Department if you have any questions!  (701) 433-5500.

The Support Services Officer is the point of contact for the neighborhood watch program in West Fargo. Please call 701-433-5500 to contact them.

In order to ride along with a police officer a form must be completed and submitted to the West Fargo Police Department. Please contact Officer Tyler Williams at 701-433-5500 for this form. If you are eligible, Officer Williams will contact you and will coordinate a time for you to ride along with an officer.

The first thing you should do is contact the Police Department at 701-433-5500 or in person at 800 Fourth Avenue E. An officer will discuss the situation with you and inform you of your options.

If possible, try to record the harassment or bring in the email/written/voicemail/texted evidence. Always document the time and place the harassment is taking place. The first step to stopping harassment is informing the Police Department..

There are no specific criteria for determining where radar enforcement will occur but the Police Department gives extra attention to neighborhoods and other areas where children and pedestrians are more likely to be present.

Radar is an enforcement tool used in areas where the Police Department gets frequent complaints from the public about speeding and where traffic accidents are an ongoing problem.

West Fargo police officers are not required to write a certain amount of tickets. However, officers are encouraged to make traffic stops and issue tickets, as traffic violations and the accidents that result from them, are a major concern to most citizens.

In North Dakota, a driver is deemed to have given consent to a chemical test of their blood, breath, saliva, or urine. These tests determine blood alcohol level and assure a motorist is able to drive safely. If a driver refuses such a test, his/her license may be revoked for up to four years.

Police can still arrest a driver who refuses a test if the officer can determine the person is under the influence of alcohol.

A concealed weapon permit is required to carry a handgun.  You can find information on how to obtain a concealed weapon permit at