November 22, 2017


City standards for service can be viewed under City Service Standards. There are also Additional Water and Sewer Service Standards available. You may contact the City Engineer or Public Works to get more information. To officially request services you can use the standard Request for Improvements form as a guideline.

This letter can be sent to the City Engineer, Public Works Department or City Administrator.

The City will not perform legal surveys. Front pins are usually 2' behind the sidewalk but can vary. You can try to locate the property pins (rebar located below the ground) with a metal detector. A legal boundary survey can be performed by a Registered Land Surveyor in the State of North Dakota to obtain locations.

Legally, the City of West Fargo has no jurisdiction in rear yard drainage issues. Only certain catch basins within City easements can be addressed. If there is a problem at a catch basin call the Public Works Department at (701) 433-5400. For other drainage issues, such as excess fill or other blockages, the first course of action is to contact your neighbors.

The Engineering Department can help mediate but cannot make enforceable decisions. The Engineering Department can only give recommendations to help rectify or improve the situation and will provide survey services on a limited basis (usually along the rear property line) to help establish those recommendations. Drainage issues may be addressed to

The City of West Fargo employs Moore Engineering, Inc. to plan and provide engineering services for the city. Dustin Scott, the City Engineer, is located at the City of West Fargo office, 800 4th Avenue East, and Matt Welle, the Assistant City Engineer, is located at Moore Engineering’s headquarters, 925 10th Avenue East. See more on Moore Engineering here ( .

Their hours are from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm Monday through Friday. They can be contacted at (701) 282-4692 or faxed at (701) 282-4530.

If you have any questions or concerns with a current City construction project please contact the Engineering Department at Concerns with specific new building issues should be addressed to the Building Inspections Department.

Older infrastructure issues: street lights being out, potholes, damaged street signs etc. should be addressed to the Public Works Department at (701) 433-5400.

Are you vaguely human? prove it...
Enter the code shown above in the box below.

West Fargo Planning & Community Development Department

The Planning and Community Development Department provides a variety of services to preserve and enhance the high quality of life offered to those who live or work in our community. We help to create and enhance a vibrant, well-planned community by supporting efforts that define and realize our community’s aspirations. The Department connects people, places, and services through innovative planning, partnerships, and forums for effective community engagement. Planning prepares and manages the City of West Fargo Comprehensive Plan and administrates zoning and subdivision regulations to guide growth and development. We collect and analyze a variety of data (land use, demographic, housing, etc.) for use in monitoring plan progress and policy making. We serve as a support staff to the City Commission, Planning and Zoning Commission and other community and metropolitan communities, task forces, and associations.

City of West Fargo Planning Director supervises the overall  physical development of the city, while dealing directly with the Planning and Zoning Commission.  The Planning and Zoning Commission meets monthly at City Hall every second Monday of each month at 7:00 pm and the 4th Monday if needed. The meetings are open to the public.

Planning Forms and Deadlines

Comprehensive Plan

2016 Annual Report



Larry Weil

Larry Weil
Planning Director

Phone Number:  701-433-5320
Fax Number:  701-433-5319
Address:  800 4th Avenue East, Suite 1, West Fargo, ND 58078
Hours:  8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
(Monday through Friday)


Planning & Community Development Department Duties

  • Updating, directing, and overseeing the development and implementation of the City’s comprehensive growth and development plan.
  • Staff reviews development proposals, requests for the following:
    • Zoning changes
    • Subdivision plats
    • Retracement plats
    • Planned unit Development
    • Conditional use permits
    • Provisions use permit
    • Right-of-way dedications and vacations
    • Variances
    • Access plans for major streets
    • Building permit plans for multiple family residential, public and semi-public, commercial and   industrial uses.