13th Avenue Reconstruction
The project will include the construction of a new 6-lane roadway in Fargo and 3-lane westbound and 2-lane eastbound roadway in West Fargo, as well as above and below ground infrastructure improvements from 45th Street S in Fargo to 12th Street E in West Fargo (approximately 1 mile). Project work includes: concrete paving, curb and gutter, shared-use path, city utilities, street lights and traffic signal improvements.
The purpose of the project is to replace aging infrastructure, with a goal of improving both pedestrian and vehicular safety and increasing roadway capacity.
PROJECT PHASES – As the project progresses, there will be multiple shifts in traffic control. The anticipated phase schedule is:
- Phase 2 completion (Current) – Early September – West Fargo portion
- Side-by-side traffic on north side of roadway
- Phase 3 completion – (Current) – End of September – Fargo portion
- Side-by-side traffic on south side of roadway
- Phase 4 completion – Middle of October
- 45th Street intersection pavement repairs (Completed) – Approximately 3 weeks in June
- Project completion – Middle of October (100% traffic open)
The purpose of the project is to replace aging infrastructure, with a goal of improving both pedestrian and vehicular safety and increasing roadway capacity through the area.
**Please remember all schedules are tentative and weather dependent.
The City of West Fargo project is estimated to cost $7.35 million, which will be funded through sales tax and special assessments distributed through an improvement district.
The total special assessment for a single-family residential property owner with less than 2 acres in the improvement district is estimated to be $3,500-4,650*, and a 1 acre commercial or multifamily property is estimated to be $15,000-20,000*. This balance can be paid in full, or over a 25-year term with interest.
*Estimate only. Final special assessments are calculated at the conclusion of the improvement based on the type of property, property size, funding sources and total construction costs.
- Project Begin Date: April 2018
- Project End Date: November 2018
- Project Complete: 60%
ACCESS CHANGE – Saturday, September 1
- LOCATION: Intersection of 16th Street E and 13th Avenue – south side
- CHANGE: Access to 13th Avenue is OPEN
- REOPENING: Saturday, September 1, weather pending
PROJECT WORK: Crews paved through the south side of the intersection.
ACCESS CHANGE – Monday, August 20
- LOCATION: Intersection of 48th Street S and 13th Avenue – north side
- CHANGE: Access to 13th Avenue is temporarily closed
- REOPENING: Tuesday, September 4, weather pending
PROJECT WORK: Crews worked to install new storm sewer and water main on the north side of the intersection. Paving operations have been completed and the intersection will reopen once it has reached its required strength.
PROJECT WORK: Crews will work to install new storm sewer and water main on the north side of the intersection
- Throughout project:
- Access and use of 13th Avenue will remain open with at least one lane of traffic plus turning lanes open in both eastbound and westbound directions.
- Short-term intersection closures will occur in each phase.
- Business access will be maintained and access will continue from current side streets during the construction project. As the project progresses, there will be shifts in traffic control and open driving lanes, temporary lane reductions and short-term intersection closures.
TRAFFIC CONTROL – Phase 2 in West Fargo will continue until early September and phase 3 in Fargo will continue until the end of September.
- Work zone: 13th Avenue between 45th Street S in Fargo to 12th Street E in West Fargo.
- Traffic control: Motorist are carried side-by-side on the north side of the roadway through West Fargo and carried side-by-side on the south side of the roadway through Fargo
One driving lane plus dedicated left turn lanes in each direction
Access to surrounding side streets
Business access is maintained
North side of the roadway – 47th Street S to 17th Street E
South side of the roadway – 17th Street E to 12th Street
Sidewalks – North to south pedestrian crossing is at 9th or 45th Streets
- Entire project will shift fully into phase 3 throughout the project limits
- Intermittent intersection work:
- North side access of 14th, 16th, and 17th intersections
- North side access of 47th, 48th, and 50th intersections
To access commerce or travel through the area, drivers are encouraged to use alternative routes for their east-west driving.
- Daily traffic count throughout the project is approximately 30,000 vehicles per day
- The project will safely accommodate higher traffic counts
- Speeds will be reduced to 25 mph and flaggers will be present
- Fargo and West Fargo Police Departments will be conducting traffic blitzes to help keep safe speeds and work zone
- Peak travel times: 3 - 6 p.m.
- Congestion expected during these times